Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ):
1.  The court deferred adjudication of my guilt and placed me on probation and my probation has since been terminated. Is this record available to potential employers, etc?
Yes – the District Clerk will always have a record of the action taken on your case, even in instances of deferred adjudication. Article 42.12, section 5 (f), Code of Criminal Procedure specifically states that a record in the custody of the district clerk regarding a case in which a person is granted deferred adjudication is not confidential.
2. How can I file for a Petition of Non-Disclosure of my Deferred Adjudication?
Unfortunately, our office is unable to provide legal advice regarding Non-Disclosure for Deferred Adjudication. Since we are unable to provide legal assistance, you should review the Code of Criminal Procedure relating to Non-Disclosure or seek professional counseling from a licensed attorney.
3. Someone stole my identity and was arrested and convicted of a criminal offense. Is it possible to have my name removed from these records?
Yes – Article 55.01 (d), Code of Criminal Procedure explains your entitlement when an arrested person has falsely used your information during an arrest. Article 55.02, Code of Criminal Procedure explains the procedure for expunction of records. You should not consider this legal advice. You should contact an attorney to advise you of your legal rights.
4. Where do I go to file charges against someone who has committed a crime?
If you have been a victim of a criminal offense, you should contact the nearest local law enforcement agency to conduct the investigation and file the appropriate criminal charges through the District Attorney Office.
5. I was a victim of a criminal offense. Where can I go to get information or assistance concerning the status or outcome of the case?
You can get information from the law enforcement agency with whom you filed the complaint or the McLennan County District Attorney's Office.
6. How do I expunge my criminal case?
Since we are unable to provide legal assistance, you should review the Code of Criminal Procedure Chapter 55 relating to Expunctions or seek professional counseling from a licensed attorney.
7. Where can I obtain Sex Offender Information?
The Department of Public Safety will be able to provide you more information on this topic. To query sex offender information, please click here .
8. How do I resolve check fraud/hot check problems?
Please refer to the McLennan County District Attorney's Office for assistance regarding your concern. If you would like more information regarding this topic, please review the information provided by the District Attorney’s Check Fraud Division. You may also contact the Check Fraud Division by calling (254)757-5022.
9. How can I obtain information regarding inmates incarcerated in the McLennan County Jail?
Please call the McLennan County Sheriff's Office.
10. I am a government agency needing copies of criminal records. What do I do?
As a government agency, you may obtain the most efficient service by faxing your request, on your agency’s official letterhead, at (254)752-1146. If not already displayed on your letterhead, please include a return mailing address and contact person to address returned service. Also, please let us know if your needs require a mailed certified copy or whether a faxed copy is sufficient. This office provides only one free copy of this information. You may also obtain this information through our Criminal Records Division by writing on your official letterhead to the P.O. Box address listed above, to the attention of Criminal Correspondence. In fulfilling all requests, please include the defendant’s name(s), case number(s) and item(s) you are wanting returned. (i.e. Case #1234567 – Certified Copy of Judgment and Sentence)