During the unlikely event of a chemical emergency or other emergency, the best way to protect you and your family may be to Shelter-in-Place. This simply means to go inside your home or office and follow some basic safety procedures to avoid contact with outside air.
- Move everyone indoors.
- Close and lock all windows and doors for a tighter seal.
- Turn off heating, cooling and ventilation systems.
- Everyone should go into 1 room.
- Place plastic and duct tape around all windows, doors, vents, and fans.
- Place wet, clean towels under the doors and if you smell a chemical odor use a wet towel to cover your nose and mouth.
- Do not use the phone unless is is life threatening situation. Emergency personnel will need the phone lines.
- Listen to a local radio or television station for further instructions.
- When you are notified of the all-clear signal, open doors and windows to ventilate your home or office.